Tuesday, February 01, 2011

First Impressions

So if you read one of my last tweets you heard about my interaction with some kids at Zeke's school. I went to pick up Zeke at the playground and a kid pointed at me and said to his friend..."look, it's a hobo!"
I thought it was amazing and laughed harder than I have in a long time but it got me thinking about a few things. What parents talk to their 2nd graders about "hobos?" It's not like I was carrying a stick over my shoulder with a bandanna tied around it with my 3 earthly possessions inside of it. Hobo...hilarious...who uses that word.
Then I started thinking about first impressions and what the world sees when they see homeless people. If a kid on a playground can look at me with my amazing facial hair and think I'm homeless I can only imagine the looks and stares a person on the street gets every day. Not things you think about all the time but it definitely got me thinking.
There's a person made in the image of God with a story and a family behind every sign and probably deserves more than a finger point and a snap judgment....
Or it could just be your short bald pastor with tattoos with a beard that a squirrel could live in!
You never know.

No comments: