Monday, July 02, 2007

Responsibility and Dependence

The three words from Bill's sermon this weekend that are really sticking with me. Go listen to it here. (wait till later today or Tuesday so Ian can get it on line) All of life boils down to this. God gives us responsibilities in life but wants us to keep the balance of a healthy dependence on him in the process. I have a responsibility to provide shelter, food, and love for my soon to be two kids but I need to depend on God that he has a place for them in his story that is not my responsibility. Our tendency is to smother our responsibilities to the point that we don't need to be dependent on God. I can shelter my kids every move to the point that I think God is no longer needed but God's story will still unfold. Our dependence comes in knowing that his plans and ways our higher and better than ours. That's a difficult place to come to.
As I look to the future for me and my family there's a lot of uncertainty. Does that mean that I lay around and tell God to figure things out for me? No...I move forward in the responsibilities I have as a husband, father, son, brother, friend and minister in the kingdom. But I try not to hold so tightly to those responsibilities that I miss the simple life of dependence that God has for me. Eternal life...life to the full, here and now. I have a role in God's story but it's still God's story.
Anyway Bill...thanks. Sorry I never got back to you on suggestions for your sermon. You're probably better off...I think you nailed it. I think I'm applying the points you made and if I'm way off please send some correction. Anyone else have any thoughts?

No comments: