Friday, February 25, 2011

How does a church keep its street cred?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
There are so many things that I'm thinking through operationally as a church coming into our new space that it makes my head hurt. And with every policy and procedure and system and staff position and line item I wonder how you keep that thing that keeps you real and raw.
As a church...how do we keep our street cred?

Is this what Death Cab felt like as they were poised to release Plans on Atlantic?
Four albums on Barsuk and all the street cred the world had to offer...indie status up for grabs...no more ep's...no more individually signed vinyl...no more shows without ticket master.
Plans was an amazing album but now everyone knew about their indie darlings.
They lost something even though they gained so much.
All the die hard turned their collective noses up.

Ultimately I'm not worried. We're not selling records. We're trying to follow Jesus as a community in Redding. We're committed to loving and making disciples...that's not gonna change.
Don't worry...I'm not planning on purchasing a tie or shaving or covering up tattoos :)
I just wonder all the implications on moving into a space and growing.
Growing is healthy. Putting out albums that the whole world can enjoy is awesome.
But everything comes at a cost.

Maybe I'll have to plant a church out of a bar and call it the Postal Service :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts...be nice!

Here's to never selling out...

No comments: