Saturday, March 07, 2009

Here's my short U2 review.

First off...Erase the Dark ruled...that post is coming later.

Hagabeefy has some good thoughts about the new U2 album.

I like the album a lot more than he does but he'll come around in a couple weeks...just wait.

Here's my quick review:
- Really like the title track. Love the weird little pull off thing the Edge plays. Riff reminds me of Even Better Than the Real Thing meets The Fly.
- Magnificent blew my mind...love the lyrics...great!
- Moment of Surrender sounds like a great gospel song with the Edge playing Pink Floyd riffs in the background.
- Unknown caller. Love the music. But I'm a little weirded out by the monotone vocals in the chorus. Sounds like they're all drinking the cool-aid during the chorus.
- I'll go crazy is my favorite. Almost the Miracle Drug lick at the beginning. Love it. It's not a hill it's a mountain...love it...did I say I loved it.
- Here's the lull in the album: Boots and Stand seem like filler. You don't get that much with U2. A little disappointed. Both the songs have moments...but only moments.
- Fez is cool. Starts off a little shoe gazer.
- White as snow is great. Love the melody to O come O come Emmanuel.
- Breathe is epic. Love the cadence in the verses.
- Ceders is really cool. Mellow.

I really love the album as a whole.
You can definitely tell Lanois and Eno were writing with them...real different vibe.
It doesn't have your typical soaring anthem that you look for on a U2 record but I like the direction they went.
Every time I hear it I like it more.
I love albums that grow on you.
There aren't many bands that will get me out to the store on the release date but I will be at Best Buy when the doors open if U2 puts out an album when Bono is 98.
There the best ever and I will cyber punch you if you have somethin' to say about that.
Go buy the album and let it soak in.
It's like a great marinade!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

at some point a fan has to just
let the 49'ers go... they aint
going back to the superbowl

-Mr. Mac-Fist-o 2 U ditto head

Anonymous said...

Im not gonna lie... im not really a U2 fan... in fact, i dont really care for their music at all.. However, They are super talented and I can respect the fact that they may be the biggest band in the world.... Behind the Beatles... duh.
I will give a listen to this record though... see what its all about.