Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Started my book today

I finished the rough draft of the intro to the book I have been talking about doing for about a year. It's going to be called Born in the Pew.
Here's a sneak peak...

As I read scripture I see how my story is connected to God's story and to so many that have struggled to follow him. I connect with Abraham when God asked him to leave his family and everything that made sense to follow him into the dark. I sink into David's psalms of joy and lament. God has given me so many songs that help me connect to him in a deeper way. I feel so close to Moses when I hear about his feelings of inadequacy. I struggle with Joseph and his feelings of betrayal. I feel Sarah's pain in her struggle with infertility. I totally identify with Peter when he gets pissed because people are messin' with Jesus and he chops off some dudes ear. I feel like I am a part of their stories.
My hope is that you will read about my journey and realize that we are all part of a much larger story. God is writing his story into existence through his children. He is present in a very real way in each of us....we were all created in his image. As we share our stories of love and heartache and joy and doubt, we are reminded that we are not alone. We are also comforted to know that God has chosen the foolish things of this world to put his great love on display.
It's really rough but what do you think? Somethin' you'd read?

7 comments:

Josh H. said...

i like it. i was also reminded of Jesus and His life this last sunday at church. He experienced pain, joy, friendship, loss...all the earthly things we experience. He also experienced death, judgement, and hell before his rising from the dead. the Bible is full of people who were can identify with...encouraging to say the least. i also like that you used "dude" in it...i feel like you are talking when you write.

Jeff said...

I'll read it. I think that some of the most powerful books and stories out there are just the stories of people's lives and how God weaves his way into all aspects of our lives if we have the eyes to see it. Keep writing...we'll be waiting to read it!

Shannon said...

Yep, I would throw down 16 bucks to read it!

Josh H. said...

i would not throw down 16 bucks but i would expect to get an autographed copy for free. hey dan, i'll be your editor. seriously. :)

Anonymous said...

Just pre-ordered my copy on Amazon! count me in... good hanging today.

nathan said...

awesome ... read it? I feel like I've lived it ...

one question ... so, who's writing the forward? ... I'll arm wrestle Aaron Foor for it ...

And I want to co-write the chapter on mega-churches ...

And what about a chapter on Celebration ... you could call it 'the best year ever and bruce blake' ...

KalynRebecca said...

I'll read it. But when they make the movie, can you include Nate arm wrestling?