Thursday, December 13, 2007

I have a theory about pace of life

I've been trying to wrap my mind around why the pace of life is slower in Redding and I think I've come up with something. I think it has a lot to do with driving. In Riverside, everything is spread out. Getting from downtown Riverside to Orangecrest takes anywhere from 20-45 minutes depending on traffic. Being in your car for 20 -30 minutes is usual. Traffic is a given anywhere you go. Freeways have 6 lanes and you are always conscious that it will probably take you longer than you think to get somewhere. In Redding, everything is within a 5 mile radius. All the freeways have 2 lanes and you can get anywhere at any time without a lot of traffic. Going places is less of an ordeal because you can count on how long it will take you to get there. It allows you to relax when you're getting ready. There's not a lot of road rage, because there aren't a whole lot of frustrating driving situations. Multiply this across the board to everyone in a city and you have a different take on life. Driving and traffic shape a culture. Being tense and rushed, even if it doesn't add a ton of time to your day, rubs off on the people around you. Anyways, just some things I'm learning about pace of life. I heard someone the other day complaining about traffic on Cypress st. I think it took them 3 minutes instead of 2 to get where they wanted to go. Hilarious. It will take me a while to decompress into this way of life but I am so ready for it.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Oh Man Dan! You hit it on the head!!! I can't believe how different life is with traffic. I HATE it and love the pace of life in places with no traffic!

Excited to hear how Sunday goes!