Monday, October 15, 2007

Please read this

It gets at the heart of my journey. It's a little long but it tells the story of why I am who I am today.
From my reading today of "Everything must Change"

A lot of us are very happy to go through life knowing as little as possible about economics, politics, and ecology. As long as we can pay our credit card bill, avoid going to jail, and enjoy a cold drink, we'd rather not deal with the complexities of the societal machinery around us. But if we start becoming concerned about emerging global crises and the effects they may have on our own future and the lives of our children and grandchildren, then maybe we'll want to learn a little bit more about how the world works. (page 59)
WOW!!! This was me in a nutshell for most of my life! Don't ask questions...Vote Republican...Hang out in the Christian ghetto...Caring about the earth makes you a hippie and a pansy...Listen to these 5 safely prescribed pre-processed cookie cutter bands...Read these authors...Laugh at and antagonize people that think differently...Science is stupid...All those people that have spent their entire lives studying the earth and think its really old are out of their minds...Clinton is the anti-Christ (both Clinton's...they are co-anti Christeses')...This world is going to blow up someday so I'm just helping the process of having Jesus come back and get me out of this God forsaken place!

Now I'm pushing it on purpose but I feel like McLaren nailed where I've lived most of my life. I don't blame this thinking on my parents or my church...I'm a big boy that just didn't think for myself. I think it's glorified Gnosticism when you get right down to it. The world (flesh, sinners) are bad but the spirit (church, Christians) are good. Stay away from the world...win people onto our side, then hang out with them. I can't believe how much of the Bible I've glossed over and rewritten into Riverside 2007 language that makes it so easy and safe for me. You're wrong, I'm right. I have nothing to learn, you have everything to learn. I have the truth and you are deceived.

I wish I would have paid attention in school. Sorry Karen for cheating off you in college constantly. In retrospect Hermeneutics's is pretty important and maybe I should have done my homework. All of life is spiritual. Math, science, politics, history, ecology, the way I eat, the way I sleep, what I spend my money on, every choice I make, and how I treat my friends (and enemies). It all matters!

READ...LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT CHALLENGE YOU...IT'S OK TO NOT ALWAYS PLAY IT SAFE...GOD WILL NOT FORSAKE YOU FOR ASKING QUESTIONS...OUR WORLD IS IN A GLOBAL CRISIS AND THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY MUST BE WILLING TO USE OUR BRAINS...OUR HANDS AND OUR FEET...OUR HEARTS AND OUR SOULS....TO ENTER GOD'S STORY OF REDEMPTION!!!

And now I'm officially off my soapbox

3 comments:

Elissa said...

I hear you...I'm not sure where I land in the conversation but I am hearing with new ears, seeing with new eyes and really not so content with the status quo.

escamillaweddings said...

A-FREAKING-MEN!!!

a big change in my own life this past year was to realize that i don't need to feel shame for stepping outside of the box. i relate very closely to your description of the mindset you grew up with and i always felt so horrible whenever i questioned it. it wasn't until recently that i realized this. wow, indeed.

thanks for sharing, dan!
im even more encouraged to read mclaren's book. people should be limited to how many books a year they all put out, i have so many to read!!!! :)

Topherspoon said...

I am praying for your salvation. I'm pretty sure you've back slidden you tree huggin hippie liberal. Don't you know Mc Laren's a heretic! Driscoll said so! But don't listen to him either, he drinks and cusses. I Just hope you're right with God when the trumpet sounds... I'd hate for you to get left behind.

(Remove toungue from cheek). Nice soapbox Dan, I was actually verbally cheering you on as I read. Hope to pick up the book and knock it out while I'm on vacation this week.