Monday, October 01, 2007

"I hate fasting"

That's a quote I'm taking from my buddy Nate that I heard this last weekend. I tend to agree with him. Fasting is one of those disciplines that I don't really get. But when you think about it fasting is probably the most profound discipline that there is in our society of gluttony, excess, and have whatever you want, whenever you want. I've got some big things on my plate right now and fasting and prayer seem like the thing to do. But it's funny because I think we view fasting as some magic experiment...at least I do. I think to myself...if I'm willing to go hungry then God will understand how devoted I am to him and he'll bring perfect clarity to my uncertain world. What God is teaching me today is that the point of fasting is not to rub a lamp and get the desired result but to put my day to day dependence back on God. He sustains every breath, every meal, every conversation and when you go without some food for a while it brings you back to an understanding of that. I've made fasting selfish in the past but I think the point is to remember how big God is and if can remember that then I don't have to worry about the other stuff that seems so big in my own head. Did any of that make sense? I'm thinking about a burrito right now so everything could be nonsense.
And for the overly righteous person that is already drafting their comment about how I'm not supposed to talk about fasting, I'm beating you to the punch. I suck at a lot of stuff and talking about things that I shouldn't talk about is probably one of them. (ask my wife)

3 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

i think it depends on how you talk about it.

if nobody discussed the subject of fasting, we would never do it.

Old Skool said...

I'm so spiritual, I am actually fasting from fasting at the moment...

ian said...

that's comedy