Friday, October 05, 2007

Got my copy yesterday


Can't wait to get into it. I'll keep you up on the process. Don't tell Mark Driscoll I have this book. I would hate for him to call me out by name in the middle of a southern baptist conference and call me a heretic. I was talking to Micah about this yesterday. Go here if you want to hear Driscoll bash McLaren, Paggitt, and Bell. Why can't we all just get along? Here's an idea...Let's actually sit down and talk to the people we disagree with or actually hear from their own mouths what they believe. Let's not hear about a few books that they recommend and then deduce that these people must agree with every doctrine these people ever believed in because they enjoyed portions of their book. It's a ton of "he read this" and "she said that." For the sake of the kingdom lets at least have informed opinions before we spew them all over everyone else. I hate giving any energy to this but I feel like it's probably going to get a lot worse before it gets any better. Sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I don't have a problem with stating disagreements, I believe that we must seek first to understand the other person's position to the point where we can articulate it in a way that the other person could agree with what we are saying about them.
Personally, I have a problem with someone assassinating another person's reputation to that degree and in that kind of arena under a pretense of love and humility. I hate the "I really love these guys, BUT..." method of stabbing someone in the back.
I do not believe that any of these men would see themselves or their beliefs in Driscoll's description of them. In my opinion that is the biggest failure in his attempting this kind of a public critique.

Anonymous said...

dude, you're right on... i'm so sick of the bashing of stuff like this. you can imagine all the things i've heard from good southern baptist folk about Shane Claiborne lately...sheesh...