Wednesday, October 17, 2007

THE FUTURE OF REV ROCK...

Here's the bomb drop...prepare yourselves...

About two months ago a very close friend of mine asked me to come on staff with him at his church in Redding California. His name is Nate Edwardson and he is one year into a church plant called The Stirring. (www.thestirring.org) Nate and I started a ministry 8 years ago when I was living in Redding called Celebration. That ministry has slowly evolved into this church that he is asking us to join. I have never worked with someone in ministry that I am more like minded with. Alyssa and I have accepted this position and will leave to start this ministry in January of 08. This has been an extremely difficult decision for us as both of our families live here, along with many of our friends and we are leaving a church that we love dearly.

I was born on a Wednesday and started attending VCC (now the Grove) that following Sunday. That puts me as part of this church for 31 years! I feel like I have 100’s of parents and grand parents that have looked after me here since I was old enough to start getting into trouble. The Grove has been an amazing place to call home and I have 1000’s of positive memories here. I have nothing but love and respect for the Grove and for my parents as they lead this church. I wish the Grove continued blessing as they strive to make the reality of Gods kingdom alive here in Riverside. We feel 100% convinced that this is the right move for our family at this time in our lives. We have spent time in prayer and have sought counsel from the people closest to us that know us the best in making this decision.

The Stirring has grown from 80 last summer to over 600 this summer. Nate is in desperate need of help on his staff as he is the only full time employee at the church. The Stirring is committed to being and making disciples and living out the way of Jesus in Redding and the world. My job will consist of sharing the load of teaching and leading worship along with other pastoral duties, but the majority of my time will be spent modeling and training others in how to live out the teachings of Jesus in covenant communities throughout the week.

Alyssa and I love Redding and we will always have room for visitors if you are ever headed north for any reason. If you have any questions I would love to spend time talking to you about the journey that has brought me to this place. We will miss all of you greatly so feel free to take us out to lunch or dinner in the next month and a half :)

Bomb officially detonated!

May his kingdom come...

16 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

"you dropped a bomb on me, baby. you dropped a bomb on me."

that song gets me dancin in my seat every time!

yay dan and alyssa!!!!!!!!
you guys are gonna rock the heck out of redding! can't wait to hear the stories of awesomeness!

and i WILL be visiting.

Morgan Jane said...

That's really exciting! I hope that you guys have a great move up there...I'm sure it's going to be the perfect fit. Keep us updated!

Topherspoon said...

Who's truck will I use?

Words can't express how excited I am for you and Alyssa. The intensity of our fellowship based on a few meetings and a short amount of time has been amazing. THANK YOU for the profound things you've spoken into my life... "death sentence" comes to mind. I am standing with you man, let me know what I can do. I am already praying.

trisha loves to paint said...

chipolte opens friday!

Anonymous said...

unbelievable . . . nathan

Shannon Smith said...

Sounds awesome. I'll continue to pray for you, your family, and your minstry.

rachel said...

so i think you have figured out how to get lots of comment-love.

but for real im going to miss you guys. make sure your new church podcasts their sermons. and if not add that to your to do list.

Welcoming Counsel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey man what a blessing you will be to Nathan. Let me know if you guys need a Clinical Counselor? Blessings to you and Alyssa.
PS Let me know when you are moving I might be able to help?

Aaron Ivey said...

dude! that's so great man. sounds really exciting. so, you guys need a resident blogger at your new church? i'd of course have to move... but i could swing that.

La Rodriga said...

I look forward to seeing how God continues to work in your lives as you take this step of faith. It sounds like a great fit!
Of course, I'm always envious of anyone moving up north :) but I'll get over my jealousy.
Hey, that church I was telling you about in Tacoma, WA that sounded similar to the one in Redding has there info. at http://tacoma.somacommunities.org/
You might already have an idea of what you want to do in your new position, but it's always helpful to see what's worked for others.
Blessings!

Penny Lane said...

Oh man, I'm so excited for you guys! Of course we'll miss you, but God's got a great plan for you in Redding and hopefull we can come visit, especially since Tyler's still at Simpson! :]

MamaSue said...

The Grove North expands yet again. Do you need a green apron with a nakie mermaid on it? Promise you'll keep blogging, with lots of pictures.

Carlos said...

For real. wow. Riverside is losing numbers.
God Speed my friend.
Los

Anonymous said...

Welcome(or welcome back it sounds like).

I'm up here in Medford. I've been reading from a distance for a while. It's great to know God is bringing leaders like you to our area.

Brent

Elissa said...

So I just figured out that your new church meets in the building of the Church of the Nazarene where my family from Cottonwood attend. So now when I have to visit my crazy family in Cottonwood at least I know where I'm going to go to church!