Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Saying goodbye to Bill


Stole this pic from Jon.
This last year Bill and I became really good friends. He is leaving on Thursday to take a position at a church in Salinas California. In January Bill and I went to a conference at Mars Hill that changed both of us in significant ways. I'll never forget the first time the music started at the first service we attended. I looked over 15 seconds into the first song and Bill had tears streaming down his face. (something powerful was happening to both of us that was hard to explain.) That weekend we had conversations about life, church and the Bible that I still remember today. Most of them were over soup and a sandwich from Panera. I am really sad that it took this long to really develop this friendship with Bill. It's a little intimidating entering a friendship with a pastor that knows more about the Bible than anyone you've ever met.
If you're reading this Bill (he does that from time to time)...I'm really going to miss you! I love that you are following God's call to the least and oppressed. May God's kingdom be more visible on earth because of your determination to align yourself with Jesus' teachings!
Bill, I want you to know that I love the scriptures today because of the conversations we have had and the work that Jesus has done in my heart over the last 3 years. You have taught me more about the Bible than any person I know, (that includes my buddy Rob and mr. Wright...and that's saying something!) Thanks for taking the time to listen to me and my generation even when we are angry and talking without filters. Thank you for showing me what a filter is and letting the word of God marinate in your heart before you speak. Thank you for loving your wife and your kids and your neighbors and the poor. Thanks for being my friend! I look forward to the calls, visits and emails, and blog posts...you've gotta start a blog!@! Talk to you soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll get the old man to start a blog...Operation Billy Blog.

ian said...

having appropriate filters is a gift... although i wonder how does change occur when there is filters in place?