Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ceasar, Cheryl, and Pat

I met three wonderful people this morning. Ceasar is 55 and has been homeless this entire year. He had been married for 14 years and his wife started having strokes. She had to go through assisted living and wiped out all of their money. He started living on the streets and his wife ended up dying 4 months ago. He's been staying with Cheryl, (looks like she weighs 60 lbs) who seems about the same age and is a veteran to the homeless life. Cheryl has dementia and Ceasar found her wondering around a year ago and became her friend and they have been together ever since. Ceasar got a bike a few months back that he slipped on and broke his back in three places. He walks very gingerly with a cane. Pat is a lady probably in her sixties that has two dogs: Max, and ? (forgot the second one). She sleeps out of a Bronco that she parks at Shamel Park. Ceasar and Cheryl usually live in a racoon den in Fairmont park. Ceasar says the racoon's don't bother them anymore but they steal a lot of their food. We sat together this morning at Shamel park and talked about life and the needs that they have. They were all great people and a lot of fun to talk to. Ceasar saw me walking around the park and asked if I sleep there too. (I guess I looked the part) They needed socks, fingernail clippers, a comb, and razors. They also had a bike that they had taken when another homeless guy exposed himself in the park and the police arrested him. The man had a bike and when he got arrested the police officer told Ceasar to keep it. They're afraid that he will want the bike back when he gets out of jail. I told them that I had a bike and he asked if I would trade so that the exposer dude couldn't take the bike back. I got the bike for free from Steve and Karen a couple of weeks ago at our garage sale so I told him he could keep it. (Thanks Steve and Karen!) Crazy morning. Pray for Ceasar, Cheryl and Pat after you read this if you're the prayin' kind!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know Ceasar. Good to hear about him!

Shannon Smith said...

Thanks for helping bring heaven to earth.

Shalom.