Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Adoption day 9 (OH MY WORD!!!!!)

If you are not a patient and flexable person...please never attempt adopting internationally. We have been streched like crazy but it has been an awesome adventure. I wouldn't trade any of the experience because if it was boring there wouldn't be any cool stories to share when we get home. No pics today...I'm at an internet cafe so the story will have to do.
So here was our yesterday...
We were supposed to check out of our hotel at noon and leave for Kazahstan at 2pm. We got a call that we were delayed till 5pm so we took all our stuff and left it at the hotel of the Hungs (the other adopting couple) because their hotel would let us hang out in their lobby. Get another call around 5pm that says the border is closed till 10pm!!!! So now we are hanging out in the hotel lobby with two kids (6 and 8 months) and four parents...heaven on earth. Please keep in mind that we are 13 hours ahead of California so I'm feeling delirious at this point. We get to the border...get out...walk through customs...hand the stern man my passport and he up and downs me for 10 minutes. He doesn't think I look like my picture. He makes me put my chin up so he can get a good look at me. After 15 minutes of torture he lets me through. I guess there are some draw backs to losing weight. We get back in the van that is 438 degrees and drive for 3 more hours till we get to our hotel. Now it's 2am and we get to the front desk. They don't have our reservation. Sofia's crying...Alyssa's crying...I'm looking for something sharp to take my life with. The hotel has another hotel attached to it that has a room. We go over there...no a/c...the room is 439 degrees...no crib...the bed has box springs but no mattress...we say PERFECT, we'll take it!!! Sleep for 5 hours and get up to run around like crazy at the health clinic and embassy today. All our paperwork went through so we are really praying that we get signed off tomorrow at 3pm so we can still go home on Friday. Good times! Keep praying...God has been helping us with all the details through this process. I feel like we are on a warped version of the Amazing Race. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Sofia did great today...she is a trooper. Can't wait for you to see her. How was your Wednesday, ours was pretty boring?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Story!
Remember "no such thing as a bad day in the 3rd world, no dying or bleeding?, it was good day"
Ok in this case the 2nd world

Christi and I are with you....

escamillaweddings said...

439 degrees?!?!

in the words of paris hilton...
"that's hot."

Anonymous said...

i think a Borat quote would be more appropriate.

escamillaweddings said...

but i haven't seen borat yet.
:(

Anonymous said...

and here i thought that there couldn't be a single draw back to loosing weight...silly me.

TheEpicBeat said...

438 degrees in the van,
439 degrees in the hotel...

Should have stayed in the hotel. Hope those gums are doing better dude.

Kara said...

Oh, man, I am laughing so hard tears are running down my face - oh the memories!!!!!!! You are a great writer!...to make it all so funny :-) definitely was not laughing then!