Sunday, June 17, 2007

So I turned on my cell phone with great anticipation today...

Saturday was a whole day with no cell phone, no computer, no blogs...just family, farmers market, reading, rest, pool, a walk and BBQ...It was awesome. So I go to my phone with much anticipation this morning getting ready to write down my 30 messages of the people who almost had their world end because they couldn't get a hold of me yesterday. I push the 5 digit sequence for voicemail as quickly as humanly possible and push one for messages to get straight to the damage. I hear the lady with the weird accent say, "you have one new message." I think to myself...IMPOSSIBLE. Then I hear my brother on the other end...Hey Dan, if you haven't got anything for dad yet for fathers day he wants socks, so bring $15 tomorrow and we'll split it. WHAT!!!! One call!!! Socks!!!! What about kingdoms collapsing and world chaos???!!!! I am so much more important than that!!!!!
Actually my experiment into Sabbath has proved what I already had great suspicions of: I am not that important, the world can wait, I need the rest, God is awesome and I'm an idiot.
Shalom

Side note...I'm in my office right now and I can hear what's going on in the service at the Grove and some dude is singing a country song that says the word "Buckaroo." Sorry... that was random, but the world needs to know that the word "Buckaroo" was just used in church. Yeeeehaaaa!

3 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

shalom is one of my favourite words.

glad you had such a great day with the fam & God.

you know what you should do...is get rid of the cell phone completely. i wonder, if you did that - and no email - how much more often you would see people's faces. hmmm....

happy father's day!

reverendrockstar said...

Thanks for the good reminder: "I am not that important, the world can wait, I need the rest, God is awesome and I'm an idiot."

Shalom, Buckaroo!

TheEpicBeat said...

If you want, I will start calling you on saturdays just so you have a message to return on Sunday and therefore restore order and meaning to your life. You will usually not be able to reach me on Sunday morning however as I am usually onstage singing songs with the word "buckaroo" in them.

I fully agree with you though...after my time off for the baby I was amazed at how little I was actually needed. I have this inflated idea of who I am and I am such a dork to think that it actually matters if I have my hand in every last detail.

later, cowboy.