Friday, June 22, 2007

I almost lost my salvation at the dump today


So I took the toilet and a couple things to the dump today. I get to the window and the lady tells me that I owe an extra $10 because I didn't cover my load with a tarp. I told her I didn't know and she says there's signs up everywhere. I tell her, "that's great but I can't read those from my house. How am I supposed to know that I'm supposed to bring a tarp." I follow by asking, "what in the world do I need a tarp for...that toilet weighs a ton. I don't think there's anyway in the world that thing could jump out of my truck. It would be more dangerous for me to put a tarp over this because 9 times out of 10 those things blow off." She was not budging and I was not done reaming her. "Seriously, I've been coming here my whole life and you add this stupid rule and I'm just supposed to know about it and give you $10 because I didn't know any better?" The answer....Yes. Long story short. $20 instead of $10. I brought heaven to earth in my interaction and I'm pretty sure she knows that Jesus is the reason I get up in the morning. I suck!

7 comments:

ian said...

i am notorious for such rants and carry duct tape for my mouth now.

Anonymous said...

p.s. better than the street sweeping ticket we got the other day. 40$.

Aaron Ivey said...

hahaha...dude, customer service KILLS me too! there's nothing worse.

Shannon Smith said...

Funny. Been there. It's a reminder to me of how human we all are, and how intentional we have to be in the ways we handle situations.

On a side note, did you see that your buddy Rob is coming out your way in November?

Topherspoon said...

I can't believe you didn't know this! I've actually gone many times w/o and never paid.

Option 1 - Take the shirt off your back and "cover your load". (This would have worked)

Option 2 - Ask if you can go through and turn around because you'll have to go home and get a tarp. Usually at this point they'll say... "ah don't worry about it this time". If they just say yes, resist the urge to speed through in hopes that there will be a different attendent (this has only worked once, usuallt it doesn't. It just gets them really pissed!). If they say yes... move to option three.

Option 3 - Sit and wait. Ask the person leaving the dump if you can use their tarp... just for a minute to go over the scales. Someone will help you. If not, you will quickly learn how many other people did not "cover their load". Then you can build a strong case against Riverside County for their discrimitory enforcemnt against pastors with beards, or agin it's just a matter of time before he or she will let you through with out paying "just this once".

Check out my blog for other succesful dump trip tips.

Option 4 - Pay the $10 and try to be like Jesus... this is not worth your salvation.

ian said...

dude, rob's tourin' like a rockstar

ian said...

the title of this post could be a country song