Monday, May 28, 2007

Frustrating show on Saturday

So part of my job is being promoter of a venue at the Grove called Anthem. We are trying to create community between bands and artists by allowing them space to create and share there art with others. So this last Saturday we had this show with four bands. As far as music goes I think it was the best show we've had to date. I love Elseworth and Avner...I think they are great bands. We had 35 kids pay. About 75 all together with bands, guestlists, helpers, me and Ian (my sound man). What the heck happened the music scene in Riverside. Why is it that no one cares about music anymore unless you wear girls pants and have 4 million friends on myspace? Why do you have to be in a certain scene to have any cred anymore. What happened to supporting bands because they were good? Sorry...just frustrated. Ian and I were there for 12 hours setting up and tearing down and sometimes you just wonder why you keep doing it. I know we'll have Panima come out and all the Panimaniacs will make up for the money I lost on this show but I just don't get it. I mean Panima is good and all but they aren't in the same league as half these bands that no one will listen to because they aren't "cool" enough. Do I sound old? I feel old. Part of this rant is coming from the fact that I am thinking about getting back into the process of writing and playing shows again and I definitely know that I am not cool and don't desire to be cool...but it would be nice to have someone out there that would still take your music seriously. We'll see what happens. Anyone else pissed about what the music scene has turned into?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. With you on that whole thing. It seems like bands are more about the popularity factor than the music. That sucks.

ian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ian said...

I think part of the problem is the audience is getting younger and we're getting older. ;p

escamillaweddings said...

i don't think the problem is age at all. honestly...i think the biggest problem is probably marketing. and maybe (and i stress the word "mabye") location.

i've been meaning to talk to you about the marketing side of things regarding the anthem venue in general. i'll chat with you at life group soon...or toss you an email.

don't give up dan.
nothing gets done when you quit. the IE is starving for good music. part of the problem is that we lack a large variety of good music (imo) and part of the prob is that we don't get enough word out regarding the venue.

that's my 2cents.

an email will be arriving for you soon.

Jeremy Michael said...

The Southern California Rock Scene is a dim shadow of the early-mid nineties isn't it? Still, don't quit the things you believe in, Dan. I think you definitely should get another band going. You're needed in the midst of all of this. Just know, that even as I go away, you have an ally in me. I mean, hey... last year my income from the studio was $10,000... and my costs were $14,000... ha ha! You are not alone, man. Love you. -Jer

Anonymous said...

I feel for you; my generation treats music like a business, it has lost the art and creative side, now its all about, who is "in". Ughh...so stupid, I still see those kids who listen to the bands that aren't known, but as soon as they do something good that gains recognition, they abandon them, or it's the other end of the spectrum with the kids who only like the bands in "style". My advice to my generation (and I guess anyone else is like this) is not to limit your musical preference, let it roam free to delight your ears to some good old fashioned MUSIC!

BTW Dan, I would like to thank you for what you have and continue to do for artists, musicians, and followers of Jesus, like myself.