Monday, May 28, 2007

Eight years with my best friend


Eight years ago today I married the most beautiful girl I had ever laid eyes on and my best friend. Today she is still my best friend and more beautiful than the day I met her. We dated on and off for 5 years before we got around to getting married. I was a huge idiot that needed some serious work and God gave Alyssa an amazing amount of patience to put up with me through that process. We have been through a lot in the last eight years. Our income combined our first year of marriage was $9,000! I was unemployed and trying to make a living as a rock star. Alyssa was working three jobs to keep us alive. She went on tour with us... 5 dudes and Alyssa in a van that we slept in most nights, and she sat at countless merch tables, listening to thousands of awful bands, so that we could have gas money to get to the next state. We have lived in 6 different places as a married couple (apartment in Redding, grandpa's house, wood street house...should have never left, huge home in orangecrest...should have never considered, a house on Palm that we spent 9 months remodeling, and our current house next to the plaza that we also did an extreme home makeover on). We have been to Brazil, Mexico, Nepal, Thailand, Japan, The Caribbean, Russia and all over the U.S. together. We've endured 6 years of infertility along with a miscarriage. We adopted our son the day after he was born and he weighed 2 lbs. 11 oz. We spent two months visiting him in the hospital until we were able to bring him home on an oxygen tank and a heart monitor. We are currently adding to our family with a little girl from Kyrgyzstan. We planted a church together, and watch that church implode. We have made great friends and lost great friends. We have laughed and cried together. We have yelled and cussed together. We have lived a great life together. Alyssa keeps my feet on the ground when I'm trying to take over the world and she listens to me when everyone else is tired of hearing it. I am nothing without Jesus but I'm pretty sure I'd be a huge mess without Alyssa. She is the glue in our family, my best friend, the sexiest woman on the planet and the best wife a man could ever ask for. I've let the blog world into most of the important things in my life so just in case you're still lost...she's at the top of that list. Can't wait for the next 8 years of the adventure!

5 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

i love you both so much already.
and this makes me love you two even more.

congrats on 8 years!

Penny Lane said...

Scott and I are so blessed to have you and Alyssa in our lives as an example of what marriage should be. Happy anniversary!

Topherspoon said...

I'm just thinking you and your wife have been married so much longer than Leah and I because you are so much older than me.

I'll be thirty this year just a couple months after our 7th wedding anniversary. Congrats my friend. Your faithfulness is a blessing to others.

Jeremy Michael said...

Eight for you, and seven for me. Niceness... Congrats and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Cheers for Alyssa the babe! (I even said that with my killer British accent.) Love you guys! Karen