Monday, April 23, 2007

I preach at the Grove this weekend

I'm sharing about adoption this weekend and my working title at this point is "Too comfy to consider." I'm giong to talk about how the prophets in the Old Testement were constantly reminding the Israelites that they had forgot the covenent to bless the world and turned their focus on themselves. The prophets were always yelling at them to remember the poor and the widows and orphans. They would say things like, "remember your slavery in Egypt." In other words, remember what it was like before you were adopted and loved and cared for. Why do we constantly forget these things. Could it be that we are too comfy to consider others. We know that a life of service to others would cause us to focus less on ourselves.
I ran across this quote from Mike Yaconelli who passed away a few years ago and I thought it was very telling of how I'd like to end my life. I might share it this weekend. Here it is:
If I were to have a heart attack right at this moment, I hope I would have just enough air in my lungs and just enough strength in me to utter one last sentence as I fell to the floor: “What a ride!” My life has been up and down, careening left then right, full of mistakes and bad decisions, and if I died right now, even though I would love to live longer, I would say from the depths of my soul, “What a ride!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we call it 2comfy2consider like 2fast2furious? That's hotness.