Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Linda story

So there has been this guy Travis and his wife Linda (and two sons) that have been living on the campus of the Grove since we started construction. If you've been to the Grove you've seen there fenced off shanty town of campers, trailers, and quasi motor homes. This is where they live and they have been helping with security of our campus at night and in exchange we have let them live there. Well about three weeks ago Travis suddenly died from a heart attack leaving Linda and their two sons with no source of income. For us to get our final inspection signed off on the Grove they have to be completely off our property. The superintendent has given them one week to leave. They don't have anywhere to go and a ridiculous amount of stuff to move in the matter of a few days. Our life group found out that they were in need of a radiator for one of the campers so we raised some money to help Linda out. I headed over there today to talk to her and as I came up to the camper I could hear her weeping inside. She came out and continued to tell me that see didn't have the money to get gas to get her car to the mortician to pick up her husbands ern and death certificate. She told me that God must have sent me and that she wanted to pay me back somehow. I told her that the church does not exist for itself and that we should take care of the people around us that are hurting. I told her that the church had been there for me in time of need and that we will be there for her family. I walked away realizing I've been working right next to this family for 6 months and I had never taken the time to get to know them. I always talk about having the eyes to see the needs around us and I have been blind to this situation for far too long. If anyone has a couple hours that they could help this family to pack up or take stuff to the dump or bring them a gas card or food voucher I'm sure it would encourage them a ton. Linda is a great person and I'm sad it took me this long to realize it.

No comments: