Monday, March 12, 2007

Home Depot Ronnie

So tonight I hung out with my second window washer guy. His name was Ronnie and he was a great guy. I was returning something at Home Depot and he came up and asked to wash my windows. I told him I didn't have any cash but I grabbed him a coke when I was checking out. As I gave it to him we sparked a conversation that I was unaware would last 45 minutes. This guy blew me out of the water when it came to his knowledge of the Bible. He knew how to read and speak Hebrew...we had a great talk. Came to find out that he was living in San Bernadino with his wife and three kids, working at the railroad in Orange County. He came home one day and his wife is in bed with his brother. He loses his kids in a custody battle...stays with his friend for a little bit and his friend gets evicted. Can't keep up with child support payments...loses his job...loses his car...falls into deep depression...takes heroin for 8 days...gets clean. Now he's been living behind Bally's on Madison for 7 months. I ended up taking him "home," and grabbed some McDonald's on the way. He introduced me to his buddy "Bozo." No shelter...they are just living on the side of the building...how does this happen! We prayed together and I gave him my phone number...he said he wanted to get together for a bible study sometime...how cool would that be! When I came home an hour late my wife said, "it's ok, I figured you found a guy that needed some food." I was so encouraged by that statement because she would not of said that about me a year ago. It's crazy the people that I've met as I've tried to be more intentional about living with my eyes open to needs around me.
Ian told me about this interaction his wife Marissa had with a woman today where she went and bought her a ton of groceries. 4 people from our college night life group got together this Saturday and fed a ton of people at Fairmont park. There is so much need in Riverside...nothing profound to say...just think about Ronnie and Bozo tonight.

2 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

i think ronnie and bonzo should come to our life group. it's possible we could learn more from just hanging with them than reading a book. not that books aren't awesome...but, well...you know what im sayin.

thanks for sharing.

ellieherrity said...

i hope the folks doing good at fairmount park are careful and hide when 'city officials' come by. they get cranky when they see you 'facilitate the homeless problem'.
stupid politics.