Sunday, March 11, 2007

Book clubbin'

Well, book club went down on Thursday and it was a glorious time. Journeyman, Chis, Nick and myself threw down on thoughts of "How (not) to speak of God" by Peter Rollins. There were parts of the book that I enjoyed and parts that I wished went further. I liked the thoughts in first half...orthodoxy...not just right belief but belief in the right things. But when it came to orthopraxis he just talked about how they did services in Northern Ireland. I'm kind of done with how people are doing services...I'd rather hear how they live out these ideas day to day. Oh well...he can write another book now. I just wish some of these guys that have so much to say would be a little less brilliant. I'm pretty dumb and keeping up with Peter's language and ideas proved to be a challenge. That's why I enjoyed the time with the guys so much. I knew that Journeyman (much smarter than myself) would be eating this stuff up and have plenty interpretation and he did. I think books (including the Bible) should always be read in community. There is something that happens when people bring personal understanding and worldview into a reading. It's healthy to have more than one voice on a set of ideas. We never disagree with ourselves and that leaves us incapable of pushing ourselves to deeper and fuller understanding of what we read and listen to. Dialog with friends about books, life, and things you hear. You'll be better off for it. This life was not meant to be lived alone. Next month we're tackling "Sex God" by Rob Bell...can't wait.

No comments: