Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Book club...Oprah eat your heart out!


It's almost been a week but I've been behind on my posts a little bit. It was great to get together with a couple guys to talk about this book. What's funny is we liked the book but it really just sparked deeper stuff that is happening in all of us. We are all involved in full time ministry and it was great to have three guys from three different places talk about similar things that God is challenging us in. "The Jesus of Suburbia" showed us the comfy, "fit into my lifestlye" Jesus, and our question at the end was: "well then what do we do with the teachings of the Jesus we read in scripture?" One thing I've noticed is that I'm doing a lot of the same things but there is definately a new set of eyes that I'm seeing the world with. The needs around me and the people I see everyday are the same but something new is happening in the way I see them, hear them, and feel about them. Hard to explain. The last couple chapters of Simply Christian were huge to helping me get to this place. I read them after our book club and they were addressing a lot of our questions. Next book is How (not) to speak of God by Peter Rollins. I'm trying to sqeeze in reading Colossians Remixed by Brian Walsh and Slyia Keesmaat as well. I'm becoming a huge nerd!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post makes it look like the picture of How Not to Talk about God was your last book you read, but it isn't .. its your upcoming book.

And while i'm at it, now for the link-whoring...

"Wow Dan, what an intriguing article. Check out my blog. You raise some interesting points. Check out my blog. Great post. Check out my blog."

Topherspoon said...

Had a blast Dan! Thanks Again. Never wanted to be a whore... but check out my blog too!

http://topherspoon.blogspot.com/2007/02/7-in-1.html