Monday, September 22, 2008

Great Sabbath

Dropped Zeke off at school.
Alyssa took Moses in for doctors appointment.
I put Sofia down for a nap.
I GOT A TWO HOUR NAP!!!! Praise God from whom all blessings flow...it was amazing.
Nate called me half way through my nap but I'll forgive him in 7 weeks...It's what Jesus would do!
Picked Zeke up from school.
Put Sofia down for a nap.
Put Alyssa down for a nap.
Threw Moses in the stroller and watched Zeke fly around the neighborhood on his bike for an hour.
He's seriously nuts...standing on the pedals to ride faster...jumping over speed bumps...cannot believe he learned how to ride his bike a couple days ago!
I hope this isn't the season of E.R. visits in our future.
Took the kids to the Osborne's went out to dinner with my wife...thanks guys...it was awesome!
Came home...kids in bed...watched some Hero's...don't even think about telling me what happened tonight on the season premiere...we're almost finished with the first season.
Great day!

8 comments:

MamaSue said...

Dan, I've got a sabbath question for you. My friend maintains that Jesus never negated sabbath's being from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday, and says that only Saturday's still sabbath in God's eyes. (She goes on to claim it's the only one of the ten commandments that we blatantly disobey, but that's an entirely different discussion) I suggested that we are now under grace, and that while everyday should be consecrated to God, the setting aside of one day to rest is sabbath, but it doesn't HAVE to be Saturday. You've given this subject much study and thought. What do you think?

Klein said...

is she a 7th day adventist mamasue?

Emily Faulknor said...

Dan,I love that you had a great Sabbath with the family. You are an amazing father Dan, seriously, you are and you bless Alyssa richly with you love and care and appreciation of her. Also, Brett and I just started the first season of Heroes too! It was soooo hard not to watch the premier last night! Enjoy! Tell Alyssa hi for me!

MamaSue said...

klein, she is not. She attended Biola University (in the late 60s...we are oh so very very old) and is usually very main stream.

Klein said...

Dan,

Don't give mamasue any clique Rob Bell "everything is spiritual' answers. I want something more.

haha

rev rock said...

hey mamasue, here's a short answer.
Jesus came and fulfilled every aspect of the law. People would point out the law and Jesus would always get at the heart. "You've heard it said...but I say..."
He would quote the law but then get at the heart of what the law was saying. The heart of the Sabbath is rest in the fact that we aren't God. We need rest...we can't do it all.
Lots more on that but no time.
Personally I would celebrate with your friend that she takes a Sabbath. That's awesome...most people don't. She might be a little religious about it but I'd start with honoring her for her commitment to Christ in that area of her life.
Just a couple thoughts.

JUAN said...

well put dan.

MamaSue said...

Hey, Dan...thanks for your good words. I especially like this part:

People would point out the law and Jesus would always get at the heart. "You've heard it said...but I say..." He would quote the law but then get at the heart of what the law was saying. The heart of the Sabbath is rest in the fact that we aren't God. We need rest...we can't do it all.

That's the assurance I needed to hear. We so often try to twist Jesus' words to fit our agenda, but honestly, he's quite clear here, isn't he?

Sadly, my friend does not observe a sabbath. She is, however, overcome by guilt that she doesn't observe Fri-Sat.

And therein lies the prayer need.