Thursday, April 03, 2008

My theology of waking up

You got the guy that lets his mom wake him up and he keeps saying 5 more minutes.
There's the "stay up till three in the morning dude" that goes through phases of being less asleep until he emerges for dinner in a state that resembles awakeness.
Of course the annoying guy that is up with the sun every day.
You got the "hit the snooze guy" that does it so much that the button no longer works and he has to buy a new one.
There is "sleep in guy" that you know you can't call before lunch.
I used to be the "set my alarm at the same time and get up everyday guy."
Now I'm the "pray that my kids sleep in but they never do and when they wake up I take turns with Alyssa in getting up even though she does it more than I do and on those days that I don't get up I get an extra 1/2 hour of sleep guy."

My point being...you can tell a lot about a person by how they wake up. I find that when I wake up to an alarm I'm more disciplined. It's weird but all these things tend to happen when I get up to an alarm: I spend more time with God, I am disciplined with working out, I eat better, and I feel less stressed. My first choice of the day is to be proactive and the rest of my day follows suit.
When I wake up based on my kids I am starting my day based on the circumstances of others. The rest of my day tends to follow suit. I tend to let other peoples priorities consume me and I'm not led by the things that I know I should be doing.

Conclusion...I'm setting my alarm clock tomorrow.

How do you wake up? Does it affect the rest of your day?

13 comments:

Josh H. said...

you mean sleeping till 2pm...drinking a double big gulp and chain smoking isn't a good schedule to have? oh the memories...i am usually up at 3am!

Jeff said...

The way I wake up definitely affects me. After having a kid who doesn't sleep I have often tried to sleep in a bit, but I have realized that I am tired either way, so it may be best to just set the alarm and get up earlier. then I tend to be more disciplined and take better care of myself.

rev rock said...

the Bramble days will never be forgotten Josh...good times!

escamillaweddings said...

wow.
i never looked at my waking up habits that way. they defnitely reflect the fact that i worry about being there for others and not myself.

i loathe waking up to any alarm but this probably wouldn't be as much the case if i went to bed at a reasonable hour when i know i've got work the next morning.

Jeff Yoder said...

I set my alarm for 4:45am knowing that that is the time I want to get up, but I set my clock 18 minutes fast so I can snooze twice. I know, I know, I'm crazy. Off to the gym by 5 and at work by 7 leave work at 6 or 7 or 8, chill with kids till they go to sleep then eat dinner and crash. I am now a real adult.

Hope to see you soon.
Jeff Yoder.

La Rodriga said...

I never thought about setting my alarm to get up before the baby. I admit, actually getting a shower in before she wakes up sounds nice, but I've been treasuring every second of sleep with a newborn.
Set the alarm now before your little newborn becomes your alarm (and he won't have a snooze button :)!

rev rock said...

Jeff Yoder...what the heck dude...how are you doing man? I'm the worst friend in the world. Miss you man. You need start a blog so I can keep up with you guys. Squeeze that into the two hours you have after work :)

TheEpicBeat said...

That's a really profound way of looking at getting up. You're completely right though. There is a tone that is set to the day depending on when you get up. Probably has something to do with going to bed too. I am never in bed when I should be. I cling to nighttime because it is when the kids don't need attention. Then, like you, I dread the mornings when they won't sleep till 7.

Good words.

rachel said...

on tuesday and thursday i don't have class until 2pm. so i dont set an alarm and i usually wake up around noon. and on monday and wednesday i wake up about 9 and i have to set two alarms because i usually end up hitting snooze then maximum number of times and sometimes i sleep right through the alarm.

lets just say it will be a struggle if i ever get a real job.

KalynRebecca said...

I am in general a morning person, I generally wake up pretty early without an alarm... except the last few months (it started in Africa) I've taken to dreaming a lot (pretty much every night... I used to dream almost never), which leaves me feeling very unrested when morning comes... So I set my alarm clock 15 minutes early... because for some reason those 15 minutes help a lot.

Annie said...

I totally agree with you. When I wake up with the alarm and get myself together before the kids get up, my days go better, I'm a better mom. But when they wake me up, I'm already behind schedule, stressed, and irritated that I didn't get up earlier! Hey, remember when Jonah "windshield wipered" you?:) Trav and I still laugh about that...

rev rock said...

the "windshield wiper incident" was amazing!

Topherspoon said...

I currently wake up twice a day. Once at 1:00AM and again around noon. I don't really recomend this