Saturday, July 21, 2007

Beware of the environmentalist


Here's Sofia's first cloth diaper. We are really trying to make changes in our lifestyle to help the environment. If cloth diapers were good enough for me as a kid then I'm sure they're good enough for my kid. I'm just waiting for the first time I drive that safety pin into Sofia's hip! I am almost done reading Serve God, Save the Planet by Matthew Sleeth and it is really good. Everyone should read it. I'm slowing turning into a tree hugging environmentalist so you get to see the process from the beginning. By the way...thanks to all the people that walked, carpooled and rode their bikes to work for us while we were gone. On flights now you can buy your emission offsets but something felt like getting people involved would be much cooler. Sofia is not going to the Grove tomorrow...something tells me that might be a little overwhelming for the second day back. We'll try to bring her next week. I'll bring pictures on my ipod.

10 comments:

Topherspoon said...

SHOOT! I was planning on bringing by a case of Huggies as a welcome hope gift. I know you already have a closet full of pink clothes. You need anything? More safety pins? Are you using a diaper service or are you going to wash those things?

ian said...

this is the second time i hear about a diaper service. what is a diaper service. i have not heard of it in my lifetime. dont make me wikipedia this.

Shannon Smith said...

My family makes fun of me from time-to-time because I am turning into a "hippie". I try to bike to work, and I talk about buying a car and converting it to run off vegetable oil, and they look at me like I am crazy.

We have a seven-week old, and we use gDiapers, maybe you could look into them.

Congratulations on the new addition.

Shalom.

Unknown said...

Dan, Alyssa, Zeke, and Sophia, I'm glad y'all are finally together!! Woo hoo!!

I'm sorry I missed y'all. Things were busier than I thought they would be.

Much love!!

Jessica said...

I loved using cloth diapers with my two youngest kiddos. My favorites were chinese prefolds with a snappi and bumkins wraps. I also liked Very Baby Simply nights with Prowrap covers for night time. Just my unsolicited two cents. Congrats on the baby!

rev rock said...

Thanks Shannon and Jessica. I checked out those gDiapers and they looked really cool. I'll check out the ones you were talking about too Jessica.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Dan, Alyssa and Sophia! Congratulations to Zeke as well for becoming a big brother! I will be thinking of you all as you adjust to life at home. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need anything! Blessing, Anita Turner

Topherspoon said...

For Ian... A diaper service is like a uniform service, or linen service, or movie home delivery service. You give the service buckets of dirty diapers. They bring you stacks of clean ready to resoil diapers. This is what the rich kids did before someone invited pampers. It's like Netflix... without the SASE.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Dustin. I saw that you have just read Serve God, Save the Planet, and I thought that you might be interested to know that it's author, Dr. Sleeth, has recently become President of Christians in Conservation (the USA branch of A Rocha, an international Christian environmental organization). We would love for you to check us out at en.arocha.org/usa. Right now, we are the only Christian environmental organization in the country.

The vegetable oil car is a fantastic thing. I am thinking of getting an old VW to convert to vegetable oil, though it will be a year or so before I can do that. And using cloth diapers is brave. Environmentalism can get pretty gross at times, and this is one of the more obvious examples of that.

Anonymous said...

hey man - have you heard of G diapers? (www.gdiapers.com) that's what we use. a little easier than cloth diapers...100% biodegradable. thought you'd like to check em out!