Friday, July 13, 2007

Adoption day 4 (Theology of the slow nipple)



First things first.
We put Sofia down last night at 10pm...she woke up at 6am! I was amazed...slept through the night without a peep. (notice I said peep and not poop. She woke up with and orange soupy explosion in her diaper that is hard to describe with the language God has given us!) We also gave her a bath. She was a trooper.
Side note: Mike Berk...we saw Bolot and he is doing great. (He was rockin' these pink sweats with matching booties.) Looks like he's gettin' a bunch of teeth in. We went to take a picture of him and Sofia together but the care taker didn't want us to do it. I was really bummed. If we get back to the orphanage I will sneak a quick shot in...promise! He's doing great.
Today we went to the Consulate and everything went good. We got the birth certificate but we still need prayer to make sure everything goes threw by Monday. We still plan on leaving for Almaty on Tuesday.
Today has been a real chill day. Sofia's been kind of fussy but I think I would be to if people that sounded ridiculous took me away from all my friends and started clicking this shiny thing in my face all day that makes these crazy flashes.

So now to the theology of the slow nipple:
6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm. That's the bottle schedule. We are using the slow nipple on her bottle so each feeding is taking about 20 minutes. This is time that I spend holding my little girl, looking into her eyes, not saying a word. Each time has been a special 20 minutes of slowly giving my baby life through the sustenance of baby formula and thanking God for this amazing adventure he's led my family into. I'm starting to wish all of my relationships had slow nipple experiences. How much better would life be if we would take significant time at intervals throughout the day with our kids, spouses and friends to slowly pour life into each other. It wouldn't involve a lot of words, just a deep understanding of love and commitment. Of course there would be periodic breaks for pats on the back and spitting back a little of that life onto the other person. (it's always good to have a little give and take. Hopefully it smells better then what Sofia is spitting up on me!) Sofia is teaching me so much already and I haven't even known her for a week.
Slow life giving relationships...isn't that part of what God created us for.
More nipple theology coming soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No good blog can go long without a nipple reference. Well done! We're excited for you guys - praying for all of your paperwork craziness. What hotel did you end up at in Bishkek? We're in the same one as you guys for Almaty so I'm looking forward to a review. Thanks for wanting to take a picture of our boy. Glad to hear he's got some teeth! We'll be gradually weaning him off of the pink wardrobe - maybe we'll start with a kind of fuschia.

ian said...

amazing

escamillaweddings said...

word.

rev rock said...

We're staying at Silk Road Lodge Mike. It's really nice. Asia Mountain was all booked up but this place is a lot bigger.

Topherspoon said...

You're already sounding like a dad of a daughter. It really is a totally different experience than being the dad of a son.

Blake said...

I come by way of Los' blog...

But congrats on your little girl. She looks precious. I've got 2 girls and they are the joy of my life. Pour yourself into them. And make sure you're being filled by Him!