Monday, May 21, 2007

Foreskins and Feet

I stumbled through this passage this morning and I have never understood what is going on here. I understand the context and I have a good understanding of Exodus as a whole but I have no clue what is happening in this passage. Because I'm always touching my feet with other people's foreskins but it just doesn't make must sense for Moses :) Any help out there?
Exodus 4:24-26 (NLT) 24 On the way to Egypt, at a place where Moses and his family had stopped for the night, the Lord confronted him and was about to kill him. 25 But Moses’ wife, Zipporah, took a flint knife and circumcised her son. She touched his feet with the foreskin and said, “Now you are a bridegroom of blood to me.” 26 (When she said “a bridegroom of blood,” she was referring to the circumcision.) After that, the Lord left him alone.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

is "him", moses? it keeps saying "him". i'm assuming it's moses. the LORD is trying to kill.. moses? (i am O.T. dumb)

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered about that too. I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say.

Anonymous said...

Bill Risinger won't share his password to to coolstuff.com? so you can get the answer.

rev rock said...

I think Bill has the password to www.ireadmybibleandprayalotmorethandan.com I'm pretty sure that's the secret.

Anonymous said...

Here's my idea. Because only one of Moses' sons is mentioned here – not having been circumcised, we must assume the other was! This could have been the cause – could it be that Moses did circumcise his firstborn according to the command of God, and Zipporah (not being an Israelite) – was appalled at the bloody act? And in-turn gave Moses such a hard time over it that he didn't want to go through it again? God knew about the situation and was long suffering in waiting on Moses' to repent. Moses may have hoped God would shut His eyes to the situation and not even bring the matter up.
But God had picked Moses to be head of the whole nation of Israel – Moses was now going to make a decision – circumcise the boy – or die! Zipporah and Moses must have discussed the matter and she knew Moses was dying before her eyes, making her quick to circumcise the boy! But she was still upset over having to circumcise her son. What do you think?

Penny Lane said...

Waaay over my head.
:[

rev rock said...

I told you Bill would nail it. I knew we could lure him into the land of blog! Now we have to all work together to strong arm him into creating his own blog so he can drop these little pearls on us every day!

The Grove Community Church said...

im already ahead of you dan

Anonymous said...

that doesnt explain the foreskin touching his feet. need more context. feet... foreskin... feetskin?

escamillaweddings said...

and bill doesn't have his own blog because......?

The Grove Community Church said...

he will.

rev rock said...

I'm now convinced that all you need to do is put something ridiculous in your subject line and you're bound to get a ton of comments! Why didn't I think of this earlier.

Anonymous said...

i'm sure you'll get some interesting google referrals now