Thursday, March 29, 2007

Creation care

So last night at College Night Life we tackled the idea of our care for the earth. Our group has been getting together on Wednesday nights and talking about the way we want to live out the teachings of Jesus personally, within our group, and towards our world. I confessed to the group that it's only been in this last couple years that I've seen the environment as a spiritual issue. I was listening to Tony Campolo give a talk about global warming that was amazing. He said, "I can't understand why people get so bent out of shape in opposition to global warming. At the very least we are fighting to make the world a better place." That struck a huge chord with me. What is all the anger about. Is there something in us that just gets pissed when other people tell us that we are doing something wrong. Have we become a society that has nothing else to learn? The Left Behind series of books has left us with this fatalistic escape mentality from this earth where everything blows up and in case of rapture we have a bunch of unmanned death traps killing a bunch of innocent people. (I don't know something in me feels like that might be a little off) Sorry Tim LeHae, I hope you don't read my blog. Nothin' but love. Thoughts?

4 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

it's almost like an infection passed down from previous generations. i've noticed in my own life that, when hearing people discuss certain subjects i've always been taught to think/feel about a certain way, i feel a rumbling of opposition in my gut.

over the past few years this has receeded, but i still feel it and every time i do it get frustrated with myself. it's a process i guess. and thankfully it seems more people (at least in our generation and those following) are recognizing a needed change as well.

thomas said...

Sharing your interest in Tony Campolo’s work, I thought you might like to see this video of him: www.eastern.edu/change

rev rock said...

thanks Thomas, I'll check it out.

Unknown said...

I guess my point on the "Global Warming" issue is that I remember when I was a kid, the air was dirtier, i remember how bad the smog could be, and i also remember being taught that because of pollution we were quickly entering a new ice age (1976.) Now the air is cleaner than it was back then and we are hearing that it is global warming? I like clean air, clean water, etc. I am not opposed to pollution controls but I believe there is nothing that will touch us that God hasn't allowed.

This is April 17th and there is snow all around me in Scranton, PA. I would like to experience this global warming, trust God and break out the swimming trunks.

I mean no offense, but the religion of environmentalism stands in opposition to the Alpha and Omega!