Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Shipwrecks and beat downs


For those of you that are holding me to finishing the Bible in a year...it's probably not going to happen but I am still chugging along. I'm about a week behind but I just finished II Corinthians and Paul was one crazy homeboy. I've always read this passage as Paul letting people know how much he has suffered for God. But when you take in the context you see that he is proving his authority as an apostle by giving his resume of beat downs. Interesting that he would list his persecution as proof that he has the authority to speak to them...maybe that's why our words don't have as much authority. Just a thought.

II Corinthians 11:23-28 (NLT) I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 24 Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. 26 I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. 27 I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm. 28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches.

1 comment:

Casey Angulo said...

Interesting thought.